I really liked this Beer 'n" Burgers event last year (see my photos and review), so I'm glad to see it back this year. They have moved it to the Fred Meyer Hollywood (3030 NE Weidler) in order to have more room, which they vaguely refer to as "on the East Side".
The event is hosted by Portland Monthly in partnership with Fred Meyer and benefits Partners for a Hunger-Free Oregon. For $17, attendees can try tastings of beer from ten local breweries and sliders from seven local brewhouse chefs competing for the title of Best Burger- which the audience gets to vote for (the cost is $12 if not partaking in beer). The list of brewhouse participants:
- Alameda Brewhouse
- BridgePort Brewery
- Buckman Brewery
- Burnside Brewing Co
- Deschutes Brewery
- Full Sail Brewing Co
- Henry's Tavern
- Laurelwood Brewing Co
- Ninkasi Brewing
- Widmer Brothers Brewing
- BridgePort Brewing Company's BIG ISLAND LITTLE BURGER: Beef and pork belly grind, char siu glaze, house cured pork belly, spicy sambal slaw, cilantro chimichurri, and tangy pickled red onions served on a toasted BridgePort Bakery Portuguese Sweet roll.
- Deschutes Brewery's THE YELLOW BELLY BURGER: Spicy pesto, candied yellow pear tomatoes, whipped goat cheese, and Obsidian Stout braised pork belly perched atop Deschutes Brewery Portland Pub’s classic spent-grain fed Coleman Ranch beef patty and elegantly gift-wrapped with a whole-grain mustard ciabatta bun.
- Laurelwood Public House & Brewery is cooking up their TEXAS BBQ BURGER: Smoked brisket, horseradish coleslaw, crispy Walla Walla onions, and Laurelwood’s signature Free Range Red BBQ sauce.
- Henry's Tavern is grilling a HENRY’S HITMAN BURGER: Brioche bun topped with a burger patty, pesto aioli, provolone cheese, mixed greens, pickled sweet pepper, and jalapeño stuffed olives.
- Burnside Brewing Co has in store their BURNSIDE BURGER: Liquid nitrogen-dipped and duck fatfried beef patty with ketchup, grilled onion, bacon, and cheddar powders, served with dill pickle “caviar”.
- Widmer Brothers Brewing THE GASTHAUS BURGER: Local Oregon beef, butter lettuce, Inaba Farms tomatoes and caramelized onion topped with smoked blue cheese & Nelson IPA fondue, served on a toasted brioche bun.
- Alameda Brewhouse's TILLAMOOK CHEDDAR PEPPER BACON BURGER: Frank’s Choice free ground beef, Zenner’s thick cut pepper bacon, Tillamook cheddar cheese on a Kaiser bun
100% of net proceeds will go directly to the Partners for a Hunger-Free Oregon Summer Meals Program that helps provide funds for organizations to serve meals to low-income children during the summer when school is not in session. I'll be there... even though I need to be back to a party I am hosting later that afternoon, so I'll be one of the first in line!
Portland Monthly is the host as I mentioned, and right now they are having a summer sale of $11 for the entire year- less then $1 an issue. You can access that offer through their FB page. I like to rotate these as reading material available in the bathroom...
Another interesting upcoming charity event also beings sponsored by Fred Meyer is Indulge at the Jupiter Hotel on September 22, 2011 from 5:30 to 9 PM. For regular admission of $45 (those purchasing tickets before September 9th pay $40), you can indulge in eats and drinks from 17 restaurants and food carts varying from Laurelhurst Market, Beaker and Flask, Genoa/Accanto, Screendoor, and Tabla to Cheese Bar and Lardo and Hot Pink Taco. Meanwhile beverages include various distilleries, breweries, and wineries.
The proceeds benefit p:ear programs helping to build positive relationships with homeless and transitional youth, ages 15 to 24, through education, art and recreation so that they can engage in meaningful interactions with the larger community of Portland. Each year these programs serve more than 550 homeless and transitional young people.
I love how these events instead of being high price ticket fancy galas where you need to behave and dress up are more focused on bringing together good food and drink and are affordable to allow more supporters, and I can wear something with some tummy flexing room... :)